Introduction to Lynch Clan

My Lynch ancestors from Ireland came to America in 1848. The group included my Grandfather James Lynch and his five siblings, ages 10 to 18, who sailed without their parents to New York City. Soon they were living in a tenement house in Massachusetts working in a textile mill. From there they gradually migrated west. This blog will contain information gathered by my mother, Hazel Lynch Skonberg from her father, giving details of the trip over and life in America. There is also a diary written by his son, Will Lynch, who was with the American Consular Service of the State Department, and was taken hostage on Dec. 8, 1941, by the Japanese Army who had captured Shanghai that day. I hope you enjoy this blog about the James Lynch family in America.
To receive these blogs by email, sign your email address in the space called Follow By Email, provided on the right hand side of the page. Roselyn George

Friday, September 30, 2011

WR Lynch WW II Diary Days 12, 13, and 14

Dec. 19, 1941.  Friday.  12th Day.
     Am to get a pass at room 302, from our Japanese supervisors.  Hope to go out this p.m.
     Am told to return my hotel bill to the hotel desk and have it referred to Room 302.
     Motor cars, except for favored few, to vanish next week,  Mon.  22nd Dec.  I should worry.  I have no car.
     12:15 p.m.  Got the pass.  At 1:45 p.m., went to my Capt. (Apt.?) and got some items, then bought some, and back by 4:45.  No news.


Dec. 20, 1941.  Saturday.  13th Day.
     5 p.m.  Nothing much to report.  JBS and I are 1-1 on Rummy.  Hear J.B. Powell, an American newsman, pro--Chungking, has been "taken".  I had expected it.
     JBS beat me at Rummy.  Then went to bed.  And, did he snore!
     Had a nice shave and bawth.  We get hot water now 7-9, 12-2, and 7-9.  Hope fuel holds out.


Dec. 21, 1941.  Sunday.  14th Day.
     Let's see---wot 2 rite?  Well, Christmas is next week.  Won a game of Rummy off Mr. Landon.  That's something.  Can't go to the concert (He enjoyed the culture of Shanghai and regularly attended certain concerts, etc.)   Mail notices in paper say "To U.S., uncertain".  News is all against U.S.A.  All "hopped up" a la Heinie (German) type.  Japanese claim Hg ? is "in the bag"--almost.
     A M  ( ?)  called 2:50 p.m.  Played several Rummy games in lobby.
     Vice Consul Shirakuro approached me re taking over my Apartment end of Dec. 1941.  I counter proposed Jan. 31.  Will likely decide tomorrow.  He informed me we (American Staff) would not return to our flats and Su confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment