Introduction to Lynch Clan

My Lynch ancestors from Ireland came to America in 1848. The group included my Grandfather James Lynch and his five siblings, ages 10 to 18, who sailed without their parents to New York City. Soon they were living in a tenement house in Massachusetts working in a textile mill. From there they gradually migrated west. This blog will contain information gathered by my mother, Hazel Lynch Skonberg from her father, giving details of the trip over and life in America. There is also a diary written by his son, Will Lynch, who was with the American Consular Service of the State Department, and was taken hostage on Dec. 8, 1941, by the Japanese Army who had captured Shanghai that day. I hope you enjoy this blog about the James Lynch family in America.
To receive these blogs by email, sign your email address in the space called Follow By Email, provided on the right hand side of the page. Roselyn George

Thursday, September 29, 2011

WR Lynch WW II Diary Days 10 and 11

Dec. 17, 1941.  Wednesday (I think).  10th Day.
     Sunny.  No headlines.  Maybe "things" ain't going their way.
     Played cards;  Solitaire and then some 2 or 3 hours of Rummy in p.m. with Mr. Landon, a 2nd cousin of Governor Landon's.  No news coming in.  Well, we figure "no news is good news" so should the enemy win a victory, they'd certainly "splash it'.   So what?


Dec. 18, 1941.  Thursday.  11th Day of Captivitiy
     Nice and sunny.  I try to get a "pass" but many other prison mates are ahead of me.  Am to get one tomorrow the 19th.  Will play Rummy with Mr. Landon, if he returns from some outside errands.
    Chan came over and got my laundry.  Bill for Ch. $417.69 plus 41.76 equals 459.45!  Are prisoners to pay their own keep?
     One week to Christmas!  Tra la.  I doubt if Santa'll find me this time.  Yeah, I believe in Santa. Don't you?
     Just across the street tonight I saw   ?  Those venetian blinds ain't enough.  "Life" marches on.
     Motor cars growing less and lesser.  Gas is scarce.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment