Introduction to Lynch Clan

My Lynch ancestors from Ireland came to America in 1848. The group included my Grandfather James Lynch and his five siblings, ages 10 to 18, who sailed without their parents to New York City. Soon they were living in a tenement house in Massachusetts working in a textile mill. From there they gradually migrated west. This blog will contain information gathered by my mother, Hazel Lynch Skonberg from her father, giving details of the trip over and life in America. There is also a diary written by his son, Will Lynch, who was with the American Consular Service of the State Department, and was taken hostage on Dec. 8, 1941, by the Japanese Army who had captured Shanghai that day. I hope you enjoy this blog about the James Lynch family in America.
To receive these blogs by email, sign your email address in the space called Follow By Email, provided on the right hand side of the page. Roselyn George

Saturday, September 24, 2011

WR Lynch WW II Diary Day 1

I found this posting among my unpublished diary entries.  If it is a duplicate, I apologize, but did not want it to be omitted.    Roselyn

Will Lynch WW II Diary
Click on picture to enlarge

Dec. 8, 1941  Monday. 1st Day in Detention

       Awakened 4:30 a.m. by explosions.  Viewed from my window, 7th floor, Apt. 712, Hamilton House.  I knew it was gun fire, owing to noise and tracer bullets.  Donned pants over pajamas, removed pants and went back to bed.  More firing so dressed partially and went to top of building and beheld the sight.  Could not tell whether Japs were firing at Hunt's Roosevelt Terminal or possibly at the 55 Morazan, a Panama vessel.  I could see lights on USS WAKE, so knew it had not suffered.  Returned to bed, as it was rainy.  My boy (Chinese man servant) "no come" so I made coffee and had jam and some cold muffins.
      8:45 A.M.  To office.  All were agog.  Got my gang together as was anxious to get Nov. 1941 accounts finished.  Shortly, Nippon soldiers with fixed bayonets with iron helmets, and news spread over office to close by 1:00 p.m.   Put all correspondence and accounts in safe, removed 610.00 and locked safe.  Staff vanished.  All Americans left office by noon.  Commissioned officers told to return by 5:00 p.m. with one or two hand bags, for further instructions.  I had a snack at home, which boy had prepared.  Listened to radio XGRS (German) station and did they "lay it on".  Packed suitcase and went to Metropole Hotel, and thence to Room 509 of Consulate Office and doors and safes had been officially sealed by a Jap. circular seal.  Codes and confidential correspondence had been destroyed in morning.  I am in room 309, Metropole Hotel.  We are not to leave the building.  We seem to be held as hostages.  Are guarded by armed Japanese Gendarmes.  They don't molest us, as we are all on our "good behavior".

No comments:

Post a Comment