Introduction to Lynch Clan

My Lynch ancestors from Ireland came to America in 1848. The group included my Grandfather James Lynch and his five siblings, ages 10 to 18, who sailed without their parents to New York City. Soon they were living in a tenement house in Massachusetts working in a textile mill. From there they gradually migrated west. This blog will contain information gathered by my mother, Hazel Lynch Skonberg from her father, giving details of the trip over and life in America. There is also a diary written by his son, Will Lynch, who was with the American Consular Service of the State Department, and was taken hostage on Dec. 8, 1941, by the Japanese Army who had captured Shanghai that day. I hope you enjoy this blog about the James Lynch family in America.
To receive these blogs by email, sign your email address in the space called Follow By Email, provided on the right hand side of the page. Roselyn George

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WR Lynch WW II Diary re Japanese Take-Over in Shanghai China. Days 31 and 32.

In this diary entry, Will Lynch wears warmer clothes and learns Japanese Army is moving into their hotel.   Roselyn


January 7, 1942.  Wednesday.  31st Day in Bondage
     Chilly----sunny.  In p.m. played Russian Bank with J. Alexander, Jr.  I'm just learning.
     Put on, for first time, new worsted flannel suit.  Think I'll get me 2 pairs long "undies" as "insurance"---just in case!
     Lost crib games 3-0 to Mr. Groves.  One time was a "skunk".  (Meaning he got 0).  My card luck is definitely in its nadir phase.
     Chan, my boy, (servant) got me 2 pounds of China oranges for Chinese $6.00.  In years gone by, I have bought them for $0.10 a pound.




January 8, 1942.  Thursday.  32nd Day of Captivity
     Sunny and chilly.  Slept well.  Am told the British co-captives are being moved to the Cathay Hotel.  Don't know to where.  Wonder if we are to move?  
     Still eating in the basement grill of Metropole Hotel.
     Ground, first, 2nd and 4th floors are being readied for Japanese Army (Gendarmery) occupancy.  We are on 3rd floor, sandwiched in between them.  We wonder what is in store for us.
     Beat JBS at Rummy.  He's improving.
     Consul Shirakura says he will get me $60.00 tomorrow for my electric fittings left in my Apt. 712.

No comments:

Post a Comment