Introduction to Lynch Clan

My Lynch ancestors from Ireland came to America in 1848. The group included my Grandfather James Lynch and his five siblings, ages 10 to 18, who sailed without their parents to New York City. Soon they were living in a tenement house in Massachusetts working in a textile mill. From there they gradually migrated west. This blog will contain information gathered by my mother, Hazel Lynch Skonberg from her father, giving details of the trip over and life in America. There is also a diary written by his son, Will Lynch, who was with the American Consular Service of the State Department, and was taken hostage on Dec. 8, 1941, by the Japanese Army who had captured Shanghai that day. I hope you enjoy this blog about the James Lynch family in America.
To receive these blogs by email, sign your email address in the space called Follow By Email, provided on the right hand side of the page. Roselyn George

Friday, October 7, 2011

WR Lynch WW II Diary Day 24

Will Lynch has complications on trying to close out his checking account in the Chinese Bank.


December 31, 1941.  Wednesday.   24th Day of Captivity.
     Still at Metropole.  Have applied to Consul Stanton for a pass tomorrow January 1st, a.m., to be fed by Jimmy James, as per usual.
     Checks.  No. B-858500 on National Chinese Bank for Chinese $9.10 favor of phone company, crossed.  I had $9.71 in NCB and this $9.10 left.0.61 for which I wrote a check to clear it out.  But, as Phone Co. could not cash the 9.10 (checks to 2nd parties, "no can") I wrote a 9.71,  paid them cash.  Now I still have 7.34 but NCB "no can pay me."
     12:30 p.m.  Finally hooked up my ground and aerial to radiator and brass on window.  Reception improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment