Introduction to Lynch Clan

My Lynch ancestors from Ireland came to America in 1848. The group included my Grandfather James Lynch and his five siblings, ages 10 to 18, who sailed without their parents to New York City. Soon they were living in a tenement house in Massachusetts working in a textile mill. From there they gradually migrated west. This blog will contain information gathered by my mother, Hazel Lynch Skonberg from her father, giving details of the trip over and life in America. There is also a diary written by his son, Will Lynch, who was with the American Consular Service of the State Department, and was taken hostage on Dec. 8, 1941, by the Japanese Army who had captured Shanghai that day. I hope you enjoy this blog about the James Lynch family in America.
To receive these blogs by email, sign your email address in the space called Follow By Email, provided on the right hand side of the page. Roselyn George

Saturday, February 18, 2012

WR Lynch WW II Diary Days 195, 196 and 197.

As the American Consular diplomatic exchange in Shanghai nears, the people are exchanging "gifts" to "remember you by".   The definition of a "topee" is that it is a pith helmet.  I never did learn the identification of A.M.  Roselyn


June 20, 1924.  Saturday.  195th Day.
     Warm.
     Recovered my topee, and will give it to Bg. for similar one received from him.
     With A.M., saw "Private Life of Henry VIII" at Cathay.  
     A.M. now lives at the Berkeley and is more content.
     Tomorrow is last day to exchange old Fapi for new Chinese Bank money.


June 21, 1942.  Sunday.  196th Day.
     ?     ?   Missed!


June 22, 1942.  Monday.  197th Day.
     Warm.
     Capt. Tornroth wanted my parasol to "remember you by".  I similar countered, and he gave me a good suit, 2 pieces, of silk pajamas, pongee (silk).  A.M. got a big doll, Chinese, rag.  A.M. somehow had a pair of men's silk pajamas, and insisted I take 'em.  I did.
     At 6:00 had tea at Circle Sportif Francaise.  Did quite well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment